|By NielBranwell||See other fanon and fan fiction works from NielBranwell.|
Nathaniel Branwell is one of the few Warlock-Shadowhunters.
Nathaniel's father was one of the most promising Shadowhunters of his age. While he was out on a demon hunt, his wife, Sonja Fairchild, was visited by the Prince of Hell Lucifer, disguised as her husband. Thinking her husband had safely returned, Sonja welcomed her husband in bed. When Johan returned hours later, it became clear what had happened. The couple was devastated and consulted the Silent Brothers. They were assured by Brother Zachariah that nothing could've happened, because Sonja was marked. Sonja could, however, feel something was different in comparison to her previous pregnancy and feared something was wrong.
When Nathaniel was born, his warlock mark had already developed. His blue hair and skin confirmed Sonja's suspicions. Sonja feared what her family and her husband would think, but although it wasn't his real son, Johan took care of Nathaniel like he was his own.
Nathaniel was raised in a loving family. He spent most of his time with his grandfather, Roger Fairchild, head of the Institute. This changed when a demon nest was found nearby the institute. Nathaniel's grandfather joined the hunting party sent to deal with the demon. The demon was killed, but took Roger to Hell with him. The family was devastated, and his grandmother and uncle left the institute. This left the institute without a leader, a role Niel's father took upon him.
The Dark War Edit
When the Dark War broke out, Niel's family wasn't spared. His grandmother and uncle were killed in the attack on Idris. Luckily, the rest of the family didn't suffer any more loss. Niel's mother and her sister-in-law reconciled and she and her daughters, Elisabeth and Phaedra, joined the family in the institute. Nathaniel took care of his cousins like if they were his little sisters. Some time later his aunt remarried and had a son, Emile, with whom Niel spent a lot of time.
In 2011, Niel left the safety of the Institute to go out and explore the world. He spent 2 years in the Paris Institute, where he met his soon-to-be Parabatai, Pauline Carstairs. When they turned 15, Nathaniel and Pauline decided to go to the Shadowhunter Academy. Because his family never treated him any different, Nathaniel had never felt like his demon heritage was a problem, until his first day at the Academy. He had a rough start, but soon found out that the world of the Shadowhunters was changing, and that he wasn't the only crossbreed.
Personality and traits Edit
Physical description Edit
Nathaniel has a casual and relaxed air. He has multicolored eyes and always appears to be smiling. He is not as long as most of his fellow Shadowhunters, but has the same thin build. Nathaniel has three unique, signature warlock marks: light blue-tinted skin, dark blue hair and black pointed horns. Over time, Niel learned to glamour his marks and appeared to have medium colored skin and dark brown hair.
Skills and abilities Edit
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Nathaniel possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to him by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Nathaniel is naturally and easily able to see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Shadowhunter, Nathaniel is also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Parabatai bond: Due to his parabatai bond with Pauline Carstairs, Nathaniel is able to call on more strength in battle. The runes drawn on him by Pauline also give a considerably stronger effect.
- Combatant: Nathaniel is a very skilled fighter. He is a skilled fencer and sword fighter, especially with his kopis. Other Shadowhunters have described Nathaniel's fighting style as if he appeared to be dancing through the battlefield.
- Warlock powers
- Immortality: As a warlock, Niel was granted immortality. However, it is not yet known when Nathaniel will stop aging.
- Magic: Nathaniel has access to magical powers that often manifest themselves as blue and orange flames or sparks at his fingertips. Niel is capable of casting spells and performing summoning rituals. He is particularly skilled in combat magic.
- Kopis: just before he died, Nathaniel's grandfather demanded that his kopis, a single edged cutting sword with a forward-curving blade, would be given to his grandson. Niel has since carried the blade with him wherever he goes.
- Other basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a Sensor, steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Witchlight: Niel got his first runed stone when he was young. This had been passed down through the family, together with a sister stone. His sister got the other half of the stone. When his nephew was born, he passed down the stone to him, as a sign to welcome his not blood-related nephew to the family.
- Nathaniel is a dog person.
- Niel's favorites bands include Years & Years, Imagine Dragons and Bastille.
- Niel can't sit still and hates doing nothing. This slightly irritates his friends.
- Niel has a habit of biting his nails due to stress.